Monday, July 25, 2016

Review: Defying Gravity by Kendra C. Highley



Defying Gravity


Author: Kendra C. Highley
Publisher: Entangled: Crush
Series: Finding Perfect, #2
Genre: YA
Release Date: July 25th 2016



Summary:

Two brothers. One girl. May the best man win.

Disclaimer: This book contains enough sexual tension to melt snow, the hottest near-kiss in the history of near-kisses, and a sexy snowboarder determined to win the heart of the girl he loves.

Zoey Miller lives for her holidays in Aspen. Her time up on the mountain with the Madison brothers, Parker and Luke, is everything. But for the first time, it’s not enough. This time, she’s determined to win one of the brothers’ hearts.

But the brother she has in mind is a renowned player, with hordes of snow-bunnies following him around Snowmass resort. And the other…well, he’s her best friend and knows she




Review:

Let's just put it out there: This is right between good and great for me-- so 3.5Stars. Because simply put Defying Gravity is a well written and entertaining cute & fluffy and I found myself wanting more.


Just like in Finding Perfect I kept smiling and I thoroughly enjoyed this second installment of the series.

Highley writes beautifully. I love her descriptions and think she got the romance, all the angst (not too much) all the excitement and all the swoony bits just right.
When I initially started I suddenly got all worried, because I wasn't that much into the boarding bits. Why is that important? Well, I grew up in the Swiss alps.. I am a boarder. When I was Zoe's age boarding was a huge part in my life. So many amazing memories and so many amazing hours spent on the board, meant I have huge gigantus expectations. So I cautiously counseled myself to tone them down. As much as possible. I kept wondering if I managed to do so, until I hit the scene where Zoe goes boarding on her own. I could barely read it it affected me so much. (the not so good memories rearing it's ugly head) So retrospectively I think Highley got a lot of the boarding side right.
Her descriptions of the mountain are brilliant! I ended up missing my mountains, the feel of being high up and surrounded by the majestic giants, the quiet and my board. (and odd compliment, I know, but a most sincere and well deserved one)
The book is written from Parker and Zoe's POV and they both have very distinct voices, which I really liked.

The plot is a best friends become more kind of one. And I was totally loving it. It is a tad predictable. But who cares when the ride is absolutely enjoyable. It's cute, sweet and swooney. No insta anything around. Just lots of great stuff that make up a nice story line.

While I do like most of the character building. I was least impressed with the two male MCs.
Well actually I do like them. I just found them both to be too extreme. Luke was petty, jealous and shallow, while Parker is thoughtful, kind and just awesome. I mean I get that Highley was trying to set them in contrast. But it was taken a tad too far for my taste. And while we're at this, I couldn't believe the mother's reaction. I mean really?! He is YOUR son. How can you say those things to your OTHER son none the less? WTH? Why didn't you teach him better?
I did like the parents though. I think it's quite unique, a lot of YA books paint the parents in a bleak and unflattering light. Highley however manages again to give us an insight into different families. And even if the parents are featured really little, they each have interesting and diverse personalities.
I liked Zoe in Finding Perfect already. And now? I adore her. I love how she tries to find her own way and tries to discover who she is and what she wants to do. I get her issues and I could totally related to her. Same could be said about Parker, he is totally swoon worthy. But as I said I found him a bit too black and white. Same goes for Luke. Which is why this is 3.5 Stars btw rather than a solid 4Stars.
Still I liked Parker and am rooting for him. And while we at it, I do like Luke as well. I mean I think there is more than what we got so far. And I am so hoping Highley will write a book about him. So hoping! (HINT HINT!!!)


Rating: 







No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...